Yummy Baked Shiitake Avocado
by Fungi Perfecti
- 1½ cups or more thinly sliced Shiitake mushrooms (rehydrate if using dried mushrooms)
- ⅓ cup or more cashews
- ¼ cup ground sesame seeds
- 3 Tbsp. cooking oil of your choice: olive, peanut, or sesame
- Salt to taste
- Dash of sugar
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- ¼ onion (minced)
- 3 duck or chicken eggs whisked really well
- 1 cup or more shredded cheese (of your choice)
- 2 avocados
Add oil to an iron skillet. Combine mushrooms, cashews, onion, garlic, sugar and salt. Sauté on medium high heat until crispy (about 20 minutes), stir in ground sesame seeds, set aside.
Halve and de-pit avocados, and scoop out just a little avocado to make room for filing. Also shave a bit off the bottom so it will “sit” flat. Fill each half of an avocado w/ an egg…be careful to not let it “glop”. Sprinkle with the mushroom mixture & cashew pieces. Also sprinkle a liberal amount of shredded cheese on top. Bake in an iron skillet @ 380°F for 20 minutes or until egg is cooked.
Once you have removed from the oven, you have lots of options:
- Set the avocado on top of a bed of pasta, sprinkle the remaining extra mushroom mixture, cashews, & cheese over the dish and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese melts and slightly browns.
- Scoop out the avocado and make this recipe as a casserole.
- Use as a dip with chips.
- Asian: use Soba noodles, a little ginger and subsitute soy sauce for salt.
- Place on top of your favorite salad.